Sunday, February 27, 2011

Obsessions of a Compulsive Problem Solver

Well-intentioned, hopeful and strong-willed young men often develop the natural protective urges to protect their family from harm. However, being young and inconsequential to any real threat instills a need for the ability to overcome weaknesses. This is where movies like Home Alone remove some of these physical limitations and express the idea that if there is a will then there is a way. 
Young men "eat this stuff up" because it fulfills their need to feel important and viable as a threat to ward off any and all intruders. None of this should sound too wild to anybody. I'm speaking from experience this far. 

There is a point where this tendency and desire to be effective against every threat goes too far. Where being too protective or proactive becomes an issue with how other people who care about you "can" live.

In another perspective, men typically have an easier time sharing socially because of this urge to help improve things. And when you combine that with childhood conditioning and superhero complexes, women have a tremendous effort before them to overcome the distance between a man and his desire to make the World a better place.

Clearly, I fit into this description. Clearly, I've struggled with balancing my need to take care & protect my loved ones and respect their need to face adversity. We all need to grow and we cannot do that without discomfort. I've been chided for my efforts to protect my loved ones from agony. To the point where I feel low and discarded. And whether that is what really happens, that is what I feel and know. It can be no more real to me than it already is.

No matter where I go from this point, I am focused on eventually walking out of a self-imposed Hell. Every bit of relief leads me to delusion. Honestly, delusion is the only thing that keeps me going.
I wonder how you all deal with it. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment