Wednesday, February 2, 2011

5 reasons Why Verysmartbrothas.com Makes Me a Better Person

 I grew up as an army brat, traveling from place to place and not really having any roots.  Eventually, my mother grew tired of the constant transplantation(hope you laughed) of our family and decided to root when I was about ten years old. Ft. Lewis in the evergreen state of Washington was now home. For most normal kids, this would be the perfect time to snuggle in amongst peers and grow like weeds together. However, I was not a normal kid.
I did not like how childish the other kids were, the things they talked about and all the mindless banter that they would focus on. I was always thinking about becoming a great man that could help and save the World.  I always kept close to my heart that when confronted with change, that large groups didn't use new information but relied on the old tried and true word of mouth to define their arguments.(the World is flat, the Sun revolves around the Earth etc.). And this alone is what birthed my spirit of rebellion from all things conventional.
Instead of arguing opinion against opinion, I would grab a dictionary, encyclopedia or other point of reference because I knew that my opinion wouldn't be respected nor accepted. However, this led to a sense of superiority. This sense of superiority kept me focused on improving but also dulled my senses just enough to complicate my social interactions.  Finally, I'm at a point where I realize, I must not be as epic of a brain as I anticipated because I've failed to become God by the age of 25. *smirks* I was cute in my head. Anyways, this leads to the list of 5 reasons why VSB is improving my life.

1. Reality check 

Feeling like the only half intelligent black person can be a very overwhelming way to feel but to awaken to the idea that you are one of many and not even the top 10 at that can be immensely sobering and liberating at the same time. I felt like little foot in the first Land Before Time.  Welcome to the Great Valley.

2. Camaraderie

Finally, I get to share ideas and have people recognize the intelligence within the thoughts I convey. Whether they disagree or don't see the point in it OR they admire the route I took with my thoughts, there is a level of acceptance that just hasn't been accomplished in real life. I haven't been called stupid, retarded or dumb once. That is so easy to appreciate.(Psychologically speaking, that means I don't make any of the VSB'ers feel intimidated with my intelligence-oh, how I love it).

3. Open Discussion

It is very hard to have a discussion with someone that has too much on their plate. You don't feel right talking about little things because bigs things are always popping up and it is more important to iron out large disturbances first and the little things take a backseat. And that may be a failing approach but let's be honest, thats how most of us approach turbulence. VSB, doesn't necessarily deal with personal issues but it covers so much material on a weekly basis that they cannot avoid covering something that is super personal to somebody. (SN: I'm not only impressed with their ability to write something everyday but their dedication to writing.)

4. The Spectrum of Participants

The idea for VSB is great but VSB wouldn't be half of what it is without the patrons that visit on a daily basis and keep the comment board pumping with responses and conversation. It is a veritable smorgasbord of personalities and perceptions. Everybody has a different story to tell and different strengths. And just when I began to feel like I had none, I was openly co-signed for something I did not value about myself but now I've learned to value it as a strength. Without VSB, it would have been years until I wised up to it.

5. Familiarity

Despite the amount of readers and commenters on the site, becoming some what familiar with the type of people involved gives the site a very friendly atmosphere. Where it isn't often that somebody loses their temper or disrespects others with a cold disregard. And more times than not, the community steps up to govern itself. Like Dead Prez said "We don't need police." I say this because it reaffirms my belief in society. It is basically my "keeping hope alive" statement.

Anyways, this was my way of saying thank you. Not only to the creators, the moderator or the person who showed me but to the others that go there on a daily basis and keep it bustling with intellect and opinion.  For what its worth.

1 comment:

  1. awww.....
    we like you too!!
    (from a fellow vsb'er to another). ;)

    ReplyDelete