Thursday, August 30, 2012

Another Political Argument

If you've read this blog once, then you've more than likely taken note of my liberal position regarding humanity and my conservative perspective on legality and freedoms. While there are things that are more universal as per the experiences of a citizen; the most essential is the ability to avoid a life of unavoidable enslavement. But even by that measure corporations(including Banks) have the ability to use the law as a weapon. They enforce unreasonable fees on individuals simply because the law is written in a way that allows them such utility(in addition to the ability to employ a full-time lawyer). Individuals barely stand a chance. But this topic is actually about an argument I had with an older gent about the role of government in society.

Back a few days, I happened across an irresponsible post on Facebook. To my surprise, I felt the urge to comment. After I commented, my comment was targeted by a Libertarian. This man argued about the families of yesteryear and how the community was much more responsible during those times. He responded to me with respect despite my childish digs at his perspectives. I undermined the dialog at every turn with snide remarks and cheap shots. No reason to justify my positioning. No explanation is sufficient. Throughout the entire exchange, he held his cool and communicated adeptly. I respect that man. I deeply reflected on what he said to me. I realized that our arguments were literally the same. The difference came with our expectations. The major differences were our fears.

At the end of every thought he proposed and suggested, there was a gentle yet persistently lingering scent of fear. Despite the sharpness of my delivery, I shared with him that I respected his maturity. My message was one that I chock full of understanding and acceptance. Well, his was too.

Basically, he felt that businesses needed their requirements met and felt like government had little to no role in businesses business. I do not disagree. However, the laws that govern people should not allow the impartial to be swayed by the apparent or abundance of resources. This is where corporations lose my protective thoughts(think prisons; yes, that is a business). These systems aren't set up for due process or to serve the many. It actually takes from the many and serves the few. People should get paid for work they do. People should not be taken advantage of because they don't already have the knowledge or resources to legally stand up and defend themselves.

Beyond the amount of bias and arrogance thrown at the people who struggle from month to month, there is that ever constant reminder that there is somebody, somewhere, that does nothing but sit in a room and plays on a computer while making an absurd amount of money. If many people can do that job, then the pay shouldn't be exclusive. This is why  I believe government is an integral part of life as we know it. Is the military part of government? Yes. Is the court a part of government? Yes. Is law enforcement a part of government? Yes. Somehow, though, the financial resources are what allows you to overcome the law that the individuals are being held to that allows the corporations(such as banks) to require and damage individuals. If corporations are to be held as individuals, then they should be treated equally and not above any other person. That is why President Barack Obama is in office. He is the man most suited for making that disparity between individuals and corporations a little less overwhelming. And that is why I argued.

1 comment:

  1. What are the intersections between large businesses, prisons and military/police forces? And why is it that the MAJORITY of legislature is "form-fitted" to these sort of businesses? I can hardly think of anything outside of these four elements that reign in the United States...BUT...What should be the driving forces behind this nation? As it stands, it makes sense how things are "run" in the US... ruled by few, misunderstood by many. And the underlying apathy that follows...WHY?

    ReplyDelete